CALIFORNIA HEALTH AND SAFETY CODE
From CHAPTER 4, PROPERTY RIGHTS, Article 1, General Provisions:
§8603 Descent of Interest in Interment Plot
If no interment is made in an interment plot which has been transferred by deed or certificate of ownership to an individual owner, or if all remains previously interred are lawfully removed, upon the death of the owner, unless he has disposed of the plot either in his will by a specific devise or by a written declaration filed and recorded in the office of the cemetery authority, the plot descends to the heirs at law of the owner subject to the rights of interment of the decedent and his surviving
The heirs at law are determined by the California Probate Code, Division 6, Part 2, Chapter 1, regarding Intestate Succession. Simplified, the descent of interest is as follows:
1. surviving spouse and children (if deceased, grandchildren, etc.; if none, go to #2)
2. parents (if none, go to #3)
3. brothers and sisters (if none, go to #4)
4. nieces and nephews (if none, go to #5)
5. aunts and uncles (if none, go to #6)
Please provide the names, addresses and marital status of all of the heirs at law.
If any of the heirs are
deceased and leave heirs, please provide the same information for them, eg.:
In all cases, be sure to give the exact relationship of the heir to the deceased lot owner, naming also the relative through whom the interest passed.
- Example - spouse, children and grandchildren:
- Mary Brown (widow), surviving spouse
- Bill Brown (single, never married), son of DECEASED OWNER
- Jane Smith (married), granddaughter, daughter of Mary Smith, deceased daughter of DECEASED OWNER
- Example - siblings, nieces and nephews:
- James Black (divorced), brother of DECEASED OWNER
- Thomas O'Brien (married), nephew, son of Mary O'Brien, deceased sister of DECEASED OWNER
uncles, aunts, cousins:
- John White (married), uncle, brother of George White, deceased father of DECEASED OWNER
- Mary White (single), cousin, daughter of Charles White, deceased uncle, brother of George White, deceased father of DECEASED OWNER
We will require a certified copy of the death certificate for any deceased owner not interred at or cremated by Inglewood Park Cemetery.
Need help? Contact us.