|Early Views of the Cemetery||Vea esta página en español|
|Roll over images below to enlarge.|
|In the early part of the twentieth century, when Inglewood Park Cemetery was brand new, funerals were brought down from Los Angeles by rail. The funeral car, Descanso, was a private rail car specifically designed to transport the casket and the mourners. The original railroad Waiting Station was eventually incorporated into front gate.
Inglewood Mausoleum was completed in 1915, the first community mausoleum in the state of California. Many families who were prominent at the time had their loved ones entombed in this grand building.
When the cemetery was first laid out, the Bryson Family was one of the first to have constructed a private family mausoleum. It stands directly across from the Florence Avenue Gate.
The Superindent's house and office were housed in the same building where the cemetery's main office
is lcoated today. If you look closely, you will see the same chimney, the same general outline, and the stained glass window over the fireplace is still visible.
Grace Chapel, reputedly named for the wife of then Superintendent, Captain Lester G. Loomis, was constructed in 1907 for $40,000. Faced with white granite, it is said to be a 3/4 replica of a kirk in Edinburgh, Scotland. The building housed our first crematory in the basement. Later, our crematory was moved to Chapel of Chimes.
Grace Chapel Columbarium is one of the most beautiful niche rooms in the cemetery. The chapel itself is used
for services, and seats approximately 250 people.
The original Flower Shop was located near the corner of Florence and Prairie Avenues, inside our gates. In 1988, it was moved to the Manchester Boulevard entrance, and the old building was demolished. Sunset Mission Mausoluem stands on that site today.
The twin fountains flanking the Florence Avenue Gate today were constructed in 1939 by Mary L. Rowan, in memory of Valentine J. Rowan, architect son of former Los Angeles Mayor Thomas E. Rowan, and one of the founders of the cemetery. Both Valentine and Mary Rowan are entombed in Inglewood Mausoleum. The four panels at the base of each fountain comprise "An Allegory of Time." The fountain architect was Walter E. Erkes; the sculptor was C. Gruenfeld.
720 E. Florence Avenue · Inglewood, CA 90301 · (310) 412-6500